Varicose veins are veins that have become enlarged and tortuous. The term usually refers to the veins on the leg, although varicose veins can occur elsewhere. Veins have leaflet valves to prevent blood from smooth backwards (retrograde). Leg muscles pump the veins to go back blood to the heart, against the effects of gravity. When veins become varicose, the leaflets of the valves no longer meet properly, and the valves don't work. This allows blood to flow backwards and they enlarge even more. Varicose veins are most common in the external veins of the legs, which are subject to high pressure when standing. Besides cosmetic troubles, varicose veins are often painful, especially when standing or walking.
Read more on Yoga for Various Ailments and Natural Cure for Arthritis and Arthritis Pain Relief
Causes of Varicose Veins
1. Pregnancy - varicose veins are a ordinary difficulty of pregnancy; they usually improve within 3 months of delivery but may not reverse totally.
4. Chronic cough
5. Chronic constipation
6. Leg injury
7. Deep vein thrombosis
Symptoms of Varicose Veins
1. Aching pain
2. Easily tired legs
3. Leg heaviness
4. Swelling in the legs
5. Darkening of the skin (in severe cases)
6. Numbness in the legs
7. Itching or irritated rash on the legs.
Home Remedies for Varicose Veins
1. Vitamin K cream will help strengthen the capillaries.
2. Marigold is of great value for treating varicose veins.
3. Calcium supplement will help stimulate the venous system.
4. A mudpack may be applied at night and allowed to remain until morning.
5. An alternate hot and cold hip bath is very valuable and should be taken daily.
6. Vegetable juices serve as an excellent remedy in the treatment of varicose veins.
7. Apply vitamin E oil or comfrey, white oak bark, or witch hazel tea to the affected areas.
8. Take bayberry, cayenne, taheebo, and white oak bark for healing and preventative effects.
9. Potatoes, starchy foods, condiments, alcohol, coffee, strong tea, white flour products and white sugar should be avoided.
10. A hot Epsom salt bath is also effective and should be taken twice a week.